Herbert is an Instructor at Evolve Mixed Martial Arts in Singapore. He is a No Gi World Champion in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with over 12 years of experience. He has won numerous regional and national titles in Brazil. He is also a professional MMA fighter with a 5-0 record. He currently competes in ONE Fighting Championship, Asia’s largest and most prestigious MMA event. His favorite move is the choke. During his competitive career, Herbert has used many variations of the choke to submit his opponents.
Herbert is a 1st degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
The Blaze 2 Feb 1988 180 cm / 66 kilos 5 - 0 Niteroi, Brazil
- No Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Champion
- Professional MMA fighter
- ONE FC Featherweight contender
- Favorite techniques: rear naked choke and triangle choke
- Wins most of his fights via submission
Herbert Mitchell Burns's Video
Quick facts on Herbert Mitchell Burns
- Prof. Herbert has taught Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil, Sweden, and now Singapore.
- Herbert believes that practicing martial arts gives you the confidence to do anything you want in life.
- Car washer, sandwich maker, and juice bar attendee- these are all jobs that Prof. Herbert has held in the past.
- Known as “The Blaze”, Herbert earned his nickname from his ability to submit many of his opponents in less than 45 seconds.
- Herbert’s older brother, Gilbert “Durinho” Burns, is a UFC fighter and BJJ World Champion.
- Aside from martial arts, Herbert’s other specialty is Computer Programming and IT.
Born and raised in Niteroi, Brazil, Herbert started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 10 years old. A month later, he won his first competition. Herbert went on to win prestigious Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitions across Brazil and around the world. In 2012, Herbert decided to test his skills in professional MMA. He won his first fight in just 25 seconds.
As an instructor at Evolve MMA, Herbert shares his uniquely fluid Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu techniques. He believes in movement and flow, as well as finding and creating spaces in order to get submissions.