Ben is an Instructor at Evolve Mixed Martial Arts on a seasonal basis. A US Olympian, a FILA Grappling World Champion, and a 2x NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Champion, Ben is one of the top grapplers in the world. He has over 20 years of wrestling experience. As a professional MMA fighter, Ben has firmly established himself as one of the world’s most dominant welterweights, amassing a perfect 14-0 record. He is the current ONE Championship Welterweight World Champion and the former Bellator Welterweight World Champion.
Currently, Ben competes for ONE Fighting Championship, Asia’s largest MMA organization. A member of the Evolve Fight Team at Evolve MMA, Ben Askren is widely regarded as one of the best MMA fighters in the world today.
Ben is also a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Funky 178 cm / 77 kilos 18 - 0 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- ONE FC Welterweight World Champion
- Bellator Welterweight World Champion
- US Olympic Wrestler
- 2x NCAA Division 1 National Wrestling Champion
- FILA Grappling World Champion
- One of the top MMA grapplers in the world
- Favorite technique: GNP (Ground and Pound)
Ben Askren's Videos
2015 EVOLVE Fight Team Highlights
Quick facts on Ben Askren
- Ben earned the nickname “Funky” in his college wrestling days due to his highly unorthodox style of wrestling.
- Ben and his younger brother, Max, are founders of the Askren Wrestling Academy in Wisconsin.
- Outside of martial arts, Ben’s passion is the little known sport of Disc Golf.
- Ben has competed and medaled in National and World Championship Disc Golf events.
- Ben was teammates on the University of Missouri Wrestling Team with MMA superstars Tyron Woodley and Michael Chandler.
- Ben is a two time winner of the Dan Hodge Trophy, awarded to the United States’ most outstanding collegiate wrestler.
Born and raised in Hartland, Wisconsin, Ben started wrestling at an early age, winning his first state title when he was in the seventh grade. Ben continued to excel in wrestling, achieving the distinction of State Champion twice and three-time high school All-American, among many other accolades. Following his decorated high school career, Ben continued his wrestling career at the University of Missouri. While at the University of Missouri, Ben was a 4 time All American and 2 time NCAA Division 1 National Champion, amassing a career record of 153-8. He then moved on to the international stage, winning a US National Freestyle Championship and earning a spot on the US Olympic Wrestling Team. He competed at the 2008 Olympic Games. Following the 2008 Olympics, Ben retired from competitive wrestling and entered the sport of professional MMA. In his MMA career, Ben has quickly established himself as one of the most dangerous grapplers and wrestlers in the history of Mixed Martial Arts.
As an instructor at Evolve MMA, Ben teaches his students the importance of having faith in yourself and your abilities. According to Ben, anyone can achieve anything they want in life as long as they have the proper guidance and encouragement from their instructors.