Every sport requires its athletes to possess a certain level of explosiveness. Golfers need that sudden surge of power in their swing; basketball players need that explosive burst of speed to get to the hoop.
In martial arts, having explosive power plays a huge role when it comes to delivering that game-changing strike or submission. That is why it is so important for martial artists to develop good explosive power.
So without further ado, Evolve Daily presents 4 Simple Exercises To Boost Explosive Power For Martial Arts:
Burpees are one of the most intense natural bodyweight workouts around. A few minutes of these and you’d find yourself feeling the burn and gasping for air. Burpees will not only develop muscular endurance, it will help you burn huge amounts of calories in just a short amount of time. Regardless of what sport you do, Burpees will help you get more explosive in no time!
1. Start off in a squat position with your hands on the ground in front of you.
2. Kick your feet back to a pushup position.
3. Recover your feet back to the squat position as fast as possible.
4. Once back in the squat position, immediately jump upwards as high as you can.
5. As soon as you land, proceed into the next repetition.
You should perform every step as fast as you can. Aim to average 12 – 15 repetitions every 30 seconds. If you are looking for more of a challenge, add a pushup or pull-up to every Burpee and make sure you get maximum airtime on every jump.
2) Clap Pushups
The clap pushup is a workout that helps build explosive power in the upper body. It targets your chest, deltoids, triceps, and is great for producing the short bursts of power needed for upper body strikes like punches and elbows.
1. Start off in a regular pushup position with your hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
2. Perform the pushup, bringing your chest as close to the ground as possible without touching it.
3. From there, push yourself off the ground so that your upper body is high enough to perform a clap with your hands.
4. Once your hands are back on the ground, immediately lower yourself into the next repetition.
For the best results, focus on your form and explode up on the push as high and fast as you can. You can add multiple claps to increase the difficulty of this workout.
3) Sternum Pull-ups
The sternum pull-up covers a greater range of motion than the regular pull-up. Instead of stopping when the chin is leveled with the bar, the sternum pull-up is performed until the lower chest reaches the bar. The technique and range involved in this workout will increase pulling explosiveness and strength, making it the ideal workout for wrestlers and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners!
1. Hold onto the bar with your hands on top (pronated grip) and make sure your body is hanging fully extended and relaxed.
2. As you pull yourself up, lean your torso back slightly with your hips and legs at a 45-degree angle to the floor.
3. Once your lower chest is leveled with the bar, recover back down and proceed into the next repetition.
Be sure to explode up as fast as you can on every pull. Also, your arms should always be fully extended before you proceed with your next pull.
4) Plyometric Box Jumps
The plyometric box jump is quickly becoming one of the most popular workouts for top athletes around the world. This is because it targets and improves the reaction time of fast-twitching muscles throughout the entire body. Also, it teaches your body to generate a large amount of force and power from a static position.
1. Stand shoulder-width apart at a comfortable distance from a sturdy box or raised surface.
2. Get into a quarter squat. From there, swing your arms and push your feet through the floor to launch yourself onto the box.
3. Land with both feet on top at the same time and then straighten your legs.
4. Jump back down from the box and immediately proceed to the next repetition.
Make sure your feet land gently when jumping on the box and back on the ground. This helps decrease the risk of injury and increase your ability to make sudden stops. As you get stronger and more agile, increase the height of the box used to progress further.
So what are you waiting for? Start working on your explosive power today!