It’s safe to say that there’s no other country in the world like Singapore. Dubbed by CNN as the “World’s Greatest City”, Singapore will certainly be a place you’d want to visit at least once in your lifetime. And there’s certainly no better time to experience the beautiful island nation than during its 50th Birthday!
Singapore’s official National Day weekend, which happens from 7-10 August this year, will be loaded with fun events and activities to celebrate the country’s first jubilee. So today, Evolve Daily gives you 5 Exciting Things To Do During The National Day Weekend!
1) Watch the RSAF Black Knights aerial display at Marina Bay! (12 noon daily, 7-9 Aug 2015)
The official aerobatics team of the The Republic of Singapore Air Force, The Black Knights, will be putting up a 22 maneuver aerial display everyday from 7 to 9 August at 12 noon. The Black Knights are made up of six custom red and white F-16C Fighting Falcons and have been around for more than 40 years, impressing audiences with their unforgettable performances both in Singapore and around the world.
You definitely do not want to miss out on the team’s special SG50 performance over the waters off Marina South. Just head down to Marina Bay, grab some food, and enjoy the show. There will also be other shows and displays set up in various sites around the Marina Bay area, so be sure to check them out too!
What else is going on there?
– The Vintage Parade: A re-enactment of street parades that took place in Singapore in the early 70s. To learn more, click here.
– The Mobile Column: A display giving spectators a glimpse of the capabilities, readiness and vigilance of the SAF, SPF and SCDF in various settings. To learn more, click here.
– Firework Displays: During the Jubilee Weekend, there will also be firework displays at the end of each day at the Marina Bay area.
2) Go on a free museum and heritage gallery spree! (7-10 Aug 2015)
There’s no better place to learn more about the great nation city of Singapore than the national museums and heritage galleries. And from 7 to 10 August, various museums, heritage galleries and visitor centres will be opened to all for free!
All the special exhibitions at the national museums will also be opened for free, along with special activities and programmes planned for all to enjoy. The venues include:
– National Museum of Singapore
– Asian Civilisations Museum
– Indian Heritage Centre
– Peranakan Museum
– Singapore Philatelic Museum
– Reflections at Bukit Chandu
– Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall
– Malay Heritage Centre
– Sports Museum
– Civil Defence Heritage Gallery
– Singapore City Gallery
– Marina Barrage Sustainable Singapore Gallery
– Newater Visitor Centre
3) Take a trip to Sentosa! (Various activities, 7-10 Aug 2015)
Sentosa is Singapore’s number one destination for a fun, relaxing getaway. Filled with hotels, restaurants, beaches, and countless attractions, it’s no wonder why some twenty million people visit the resort island each year.
This year, the island is joining in the celebrations with their very own promotions, special offers and exhibitions over the Jubilee Weekend. From 1 July to 10 August, you can catch the Sand sculpture exhibition – featuring iconic moments or monuments in Singapore over the past five decades. In addition, there are also ongoing promotions, which include:
– Island admission fee waiver at the Sentosa Boardwalk daily as well as for cars and taxis on weekdays after 5pm (excluding PH)
– Limited edition SG50 Sentosa Islander Card
– Discounts off various attractions, such as $5 off Megazip Adventure Park, $5 off Combat Skirmish LIVE, etc.
In you’re a Singapore citizen, permanent resident, or have a working permit. A variety of attractions at Sentosa will be free over the long weekend:
– 7 Aug, 8.40pm: Wings of Time night show
– 8 Aug, 10am – 8pm: Sentosa Merlion (last entry 7:30pm)
– 9 Aug, 10am – 6pm: Free guided tours of Fort Siloso (last entry 5:30pm)
– 10 Aug, 8:45am – 10pm: Free Cable Car rides* (last boarding 9:30pm)
*From HarbourFront Station or any of the cable car stations on Sentosa Island.
For more information, please visit their website.
4) Journey through the wildlife reserves of Singapore at half the price! (1-31 Aug 2015)
Singapore’s award-winning wildlife reserves are a great place to get up close and personal with animals. And from 7 to 10 August, visitors to the four wildlife parks can also enjoy a free SG50 animal-themed woven tote bag (worth $3) at the parks’ retail stores (this is limited to 1 bag per visitor, and while stocks last).
Also, from 1 to 31 August, Singapore residents will get to enjoy:
– 50% discount on admission tickets to the Jurong Bird Park
– 50% off bundled admission to River Safari and Singapore Zoo for same-day visits.
5) Experience 50 years of Singapore at the Singapore Sports Hub SG50 Carnival! (9am-9pm, 8-9 Aug 2015)
The Singapore Sports Hub is Singapore’s newest world class, integrated sports, entertainment, and lifestyle hub. And this year, the hub will be hosting a community carnival with local games, music and snacks from the past 50 years of Singapore on 8 and 9 August to celebrate the Jubilee Year. This would be an awesome chance to have a firsthand look at some of the funs things Singaporeans do growing up. And did we mention there would be a ton of cool prizes to be won?
To learn more about the carnival, check out the event poster here.
So what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip to beautiful Singapore now! And if you’re looking for a place to work out, why not sweat it out with the finest World Champions Asia has to offer at Evolve MMA!