When you think of martial arts, you might think of self-defense or competition, but there’s much more to it. The discipline, perseverance, and improved cognition you get from training a martial art can help you in other aspects of your life, from academics to relationships.
Before diving right into the topic, let’s go over some of the mental and physical benefits of learning a martial art like:
- Improved-Problem Solving Skills: Martial arts involve making quick decisions under stress. Your sparring sessions involve working with a trained opponent, so it quickly becomes a battle of wits.
- Improved Work Ethic: Martial arts teaches the importance of working hard towards your goals.
- Lower Stress Levels: The physical exercise and endorphins released during training lowers stress and improve sleep.
- Improved Focus: Martial arts training requires focusing on small details as your instructor covers techniques. It teaches you to be present and mindful of events around you.
- Improved Social Skills: Martial arts classes are a group activity, so you get to train with people from all walks of life. It’s a great way to improve your social skills or make new friends.
- Improved Physical Health: Many martial arts like Muay Thai give you a full body workout which leads to increased physical health and a stronger immune system.
- Increased Overall Fitness: Martial arts training makes your heart and lungs work harder, improving your physical fitness.
- Improved Mobility And Flexibility: People who train martial arts have better mobility and flexibility than those who don’t.
- Improved Coordination: Martial arts teach you how to use different parts of your body together.
- Increased Confidence: You become more confident as you overcome obstacles on the mat and learn how to defend yourself.
- Improved Agility And Reflexes: Martial arts improve your reflexes and agility.
- Improved Discipline: Martial arts shows you the rewards of discipline. The more disciplined you are with your training, the faster you enjoy the benefits of martial arts.
Understanding How The Benefits Of Martial Arts Translate Into Other Aspects Of Your Life
Now that we’ve gone over some of the benefits of training martial arts, it’s time to go over how these things translate into other aspects of your life.
Students who train martial arts perform better than their counterparts that don’t academically. That statistic doesn’t come as a surprise when you understand the benefits of learning martial arts.
For example, the increased discipline the child learns from training martial arts carries over into academics. Discipline allows a child to turn off their favorite video game and study for their next test. Undisciplined people tend to postpone important things, which leads to poorer results.
The improved problem-solving skills, focus, and work ethic you learn during martial arts classes also translate to improved results. A student who can focus and apply themselves is more likely to do better in school than one who cannot. Homework and studying can feel like chores, but that doesn’t deter disciplined people. This is especially true for subjects that a student may be struggling with. However, if a child can focus and work on their problem areas, they will see a marked improvement in their grades.
The benefits of martial arts don’t just stop at academics; they also carry into the workforce. A lot of the things that make a good employee are things that are learned from training martial arts.
For example, someone who is punctual and disciplined is more likely to show up to work on time and meet deadlines than someone who isn’t. Furthermore, an individual with good problem-solving skills is more likely to develop creative solutions to complex problems. Lastly, employees who have increased fitness levels tend to take fewer sick days than those who don’t.
The lower stress levels that people who train in martial arts get to enjoy also improve job performance. The modern workplace is fast-paced, and many people are overwhelmed with stress. Martial arts training teaches you how to maintain your focus and cognition in stressful environments, giving you an edge. It serves as destructive therapy that provides stress relief.
The endorphins released after your training session elevate your mood, and the physical workout you get during training ensures your body is tired at bedtime.
In addition to work, martial arts can also help your personal relationships. The improved social skills that come from training martial arts will allow you to communicate with your loved ones more effectively. Furthermore, increased confidence in yourself will allow you to easily approach potential romantic interests. Lastly, the discipline you’ve learned from martial arts will help you stay committed to your partner.
You might even meet your partner in your martial arts class. Cupid has been known to strike at dojos worldwide from time to time. The passion you both have for martial arts can serve as a common interest that brings you even closer.
Aside from the more general benefits, martial arts can also help you achieve specific goals. For example, if your goal is to lose weight, the increased fitness that comes from martial arts will help you reach your target weight. Similarly, if your goal is to compete in a tournament, the discipline and training you’ve learned from martial arts will give you the tools you need to succeed.
The martial art journey teaches you that everything in life is a process and how to set smaller goals as you work towards bigger ones. All martial artists start as white belts and move up the ranks as their skillset increases. The journey teaches you that big accomplishments are just the result of smaller ones.
Martial Arts Improves All Aspects Of Your Life
In conclusion, the benefits of martial arts extend far beyond the dojo. The skills you learn from training can be applied to all aspects of your life, from school and work to your personal relationships. Martial arts are a great place to start if you want to improve yourself.
Come to one of Evolve MMA’s complimentary introductory classes to learn more about the benefits of learning a martial art.
Book your complimentary trial class with our World Champions below!
If you have any other questions regarding Evolve MMA and the programs we offer, you can get in touch with our membership executives at the following locations:
Evolve MMA (Far East Square)
26 China Street
Far East Square #01-01
Phone: (65) 6536 4525
Evolve MMA (Orchard Central)
181 Orchard Road
#06-01 Orchard Central
Phone: (65) 6536 4556
Evolve MMA (KINEX)
11 Tanjong Katong Road
Phone: (65) 6288 2293
Evolve MMA (Clarke Quay Central)
6 Eu Tong Sen Street
#04-18 Clarke Quay Central
Phone: (65) 6226 2150
Evolve MMA (Star Vista)
1 Vista Exchange Green
#02-26A The Star Vista
Phone: (65) 6539 9590